Wednesday, November 14, 2007

New Rosary Beads

I just put up a new set of rosary beads on Page 2 of the catalog. It's the Mother of Pearl one. This rosary is ultra feminine. I picture someone with a strong devotion to Our Lady praying on this rosary, or maybe a little girl. I think that having a beautiful rosary calls us to prayer. And, not only that, but it brings honor to Our Lady, the Blessed Mother. That the most important reason I make my rosaries.
The Our Father beads are so beautiful. I have someone who makes the most beautiful lampwork beads to make some of my Our Father beads. She heats up glass rods with a big torch and twirls the molten glass around a narrow metal rod. Then she applies the flowers and leaves with various thin rods of glass in different colors. The finished bead goes into a kiln to slowly cool. That way the bead has durability. I took a class once and I learned that I neither have the patience nor the skill to make my own beads. When I first asked Melanie, she said no, but I dared to ask again a few years later and she said yes. I must have caught her at a good time. Thank you, Melanie!

No comments: